Go GCC vs GC

For awhile now I’ve been playing around with a stack based language written in Go. The specifics of that project aren’t too important here, but I did notice something interesting today as I tried GCC for the first time with the project. First I wanted to make sure it worked so I ran go-5 test and happily all tests passed. Next, I thought I’d see how the benchmark looked. Here I think I was most surprised. Every single benchmark I had written was between 1.5x Continue reading →

Boostrapping a Forth in 46 lines of Moonscript code

There’s an article called Boostrapping a Forth in 40 lines of Lua code that’s been around since around 2007. It’s a great article and I’d highly recommend reading it. However, I only recently found it after some interest in Forth. This is the Forth outer interpreter in Lua from the above article reformatted a bit: eval = function (str) return assert(loadstring(str))() end subj = "" pos = 1 parsebypattern = function (pat) local capture, newpos = string.match(subj, pat, pos) if newpos then pos = newpos Continue reading →

Chipmunk Physics

I’ve been hard at work at my project which I’m yet to call by name on here (and will continue to be that way until I have a playable demo.) First, a status update. I’ve ditched the idea of doing the entire engine myself and have now migrated to HGE (Haaf’s Game Engine) which fairly recently had a port to *nix and OS X by Ryan C. Gordon. I’ve worked a bit on the engine itself after the source release and my changes were pulled Continue reading →

Sega Master System Coding

Besides updating my server, I’ve been quite busy with some Sega Master System (SMS from here-on-out) coding. I’ve decided to switch to SMS for now instead of Game Gear for now. It seems I’ve kind of went my own way with this project. From the looks of it, most people either use WLA-DX or, to a much lesser extent, z88dk. I don’t see too much about any other assemblers/compilers. Granted, I haven’t looked terribly hard for the topics though. So even from the get-go with Continue reading →

Adventures in Lua Binding

I’ve mentioned before (actually, probably only in that last post) about a game I’ve been working on on and off for the last few years (I think I said three, but it’s actually been five, with it being inactive for most of that time.) I had decided long ago that it would probably be scripted with Lua and I’m just now finally getting around to experimenting with that. I’ve ultimately decided it’s going to either be using OOLua or Luabind. I’ve given both a fairly Continue reading →

Adventures in Lua Embedding

In a personal project which I’ve been working on and off on for the last three or so years (without really getting much done to be totally honest), I’ve decided to use Lua for the configuration file. The project itself is in C++, so this lead me to use the Lua C API to embed it in the project. Prior to deciding on Lua, I was using a manually parsed key/value format. The only thing to really change between the new format an the old Continue reading →

Uzebox

I’ve been sort of obsessing over Uzebox lately. Even without purchasing the hardware yet, I’m getting a pretty excited about the possibilities of this small little console. Not just from the programming aspect, but also because Fuzebox looks like a great exercise in assembling/soldering. I’ve also been considering how/where I should cut the case that Fuzebox provides in their “Starter Kit.” For instance, the one of the things I imagine I’ll be using often is the FTDI to upload code to test and play with. Continue reading →