HGE Go work

I just realized I never actually posted about why I was doing a C binding of C++. Basically I bound most of Haaf’s Game Engine (HGE) from C++ to C. I ended up getting a bit stuck on the GUI elements and getting a nice way to let them do simple inheritance and polymorphism based on the current C++ classes. This actually wasn’t a problem for my end-game which was to take that C binding and make a Go version with cgo. I had initially Continue reading →

C Bindings for C++

Lately I’ve been playing around with writing C bindings for a C++ library. Your first thought might be, “Why would you bind a C++ to C?” Those of you who have ever had to do bindings to other languages may already know the answer. In general, it’s much easier to bind C to another language than it is to bind C++ directly. Another, albeit less likely, reason might be because a client wants a C interface instead. You may be asking your self at this Continue reading →

Chipmunk Physics

I’ve been hard at work at my project which I’m yet to call by name on here (and will continue to be that way until I have a playable demo.) First, a status update. I’ve ditched the idea of doing the entire engine myself and have now migrated to HGE (Haaf’s Game Engine) which fairly recently had a port to *nix and OS X by Ryan C. Gordon. I’ve worked a bit on the engine itself after the source release and my changes were pulled Continue reading →

Adventures in Lua Binding

I’ve mentioned before (actually, probably only in that last post) about a game I’ve been working on on and off for the last few years (I think I said three, but it’s actually been five, with it being inactive for most of that time.) I had decided long ago that it would probably be scripted with Lua and I’m just now finally getting around to experimenting with that. I’ve ultimately decided it’s going to either be using OOLua or Luabind. I’ve given both a fairly Continue reading →

Adventures in Lua Embedding

In a personal project which I’ve been working on and off on for the last three or so years (without really getting much done to be totally honest), I’ve decided to use Lua for the configuration file. The project itself is in C++, so this lead me to use the Lua C API to embed it in the project. Prior to deciding on Lua, I was using a manually parsed key/value format. The only thing to really change between the new format an the old Continue reading →

CrabEmu

Because of my renewed interest in Z80 and wanting to better learn assembly programming, I ultimately want to do a bit with Game Gear/SMS coding. For this though, an emulator with at least some basic debugging facilities would be useful. After searching Linux Game Gear emulators, none really had what I was looking for. On my first attempt, I decided Dega looked interesting, it has source available. The two major turn offs of Dega was the Z80 core which is x86 assembly, which is obviously Continue reading →