Well, I’m releasing what I’ll call version 0.1.0 of CrabEmu for the Didj. It includes a custom built rootfs with no questionable code from the LF distribution (for instance, their scripts for checking various things like USB connections.) This initial release requires a DJHI or other third party card that is SD capable. The SD must also have two partitions: Fat32 & Ext 3. Because of the later, you’ll also need an OS that’s able to read/write to Ext 3 file systems.
Besides updating my server, I’ve been quite busy with some Sega Master System (SMS from here-on-out) coding. I’ve decided to switch to SMS for now instead of Game Gear for now. It seems I’ve kind of went my own way with this project. From the looks of it, most people either use WLA-DX or, to a much lesser extent, z88dk. I don’t see too much about any other assemblers/compilers. Granted, I haven’t looked terribly hard for the topics though.
I’ve now updated my home server to Debian 6.0. In the process I’ve decided to also switch to lighttpd from Apache HTTP. I do miss the fact that mod_chroot in Apache was able to basically take care of the dependencies for me and build the chroot daemon startup, but it wasn’t too much work to get everything up and going in a chroot. It ended up one of my plugins (Last.
I’ve mentioned before (actually, probably only in that last post) about a game I’ve been working on on and off for the last few years (I think I said three, but it’s actually been five, with it being inactive for most of that time.) I had decided long ago that it would probably be scripted with Lua and I’m just now finally getting around to experimenting with that. I’ve ultimately decided it’s going to either be using OOLua or Luabind.
In a personal project which I’ve been working on and off on for the last three or so years (without really getting much done to be totally honest), I’ve decided to use Lua for the configuration file. The project itself is in C++, so this lead me to use the Lua C API to embed it in the project. Prior to deciding on Lua, I was using a manually parsed key/value format.
I’m going to be without internet at home for awhile it looks like. The server this blog was run from was just a computer I had in my apartment. Since that’s going to be down sometime in the near future I decided it was time to figure out something to do in the meantime. The solution was to move this blog to a server I know will stay up while I’m moving.
I got an MSP430 Launchpad in the mail a couple of days ago. So I’ve been playing with that the last couple of days. The first day I went through the tools on the wiki and grabbed both IDE’s and all the downloadable links I could. This had to be done on Windows since it’s the only platform they support. Being a Linux user 99% of the time, I wasn’t too pleased with this situation, so I investigated the tools available for Linux, and that’s what I did all of yesterday.
About a year or so back I got a book that the public library was giving away after a book sale on Z80 assembly. I read it, but never really did anything with that knowledge. The thought was always in the back of my head to eventually apply that and play around with some SEGA Master System/Game Gear coding. Unfortunately time has a way of getting away from you. The library had a book sale about a month or so back and they had quite a few books.
Well, I may be the first to get even basic OpenGL ES primitives to render. I can now make my claim that NeHe lesson02 works for the Didj. Some others have things such as OpenGL version strings, but I believe this is the first actual rendering for Didj homebrew. I’ve gone a slightly different route then what others have done. I’ve used Brio directly to satisfy some of the OpenGL ES dependencies.
I agree it’s a cool and novel idea for a WordPress plugin and I do think you’ll have to continue moderating comments because like a few of us have said, it’s not a terribly effective CAPTCHA. Not to mention when you say “please make a bot that does this, we’d love to see it,” you can bet at least one or two people will do just that (if for no other reason because you said you’d love to see it, you know, to please you)